1930's Drum Table Makeover | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : 1930's Drum Table Makeover

Friday, September 19, 2014

1930's Drum Table Makeover





Oh curbside drop-offs... I love you! 




If you are like me, then you are a redo'er, renewer, recycler lover that sees something in others' unwanted "stuff". 





This old, once a beauty, was sitting at the curb.  I ain't shy... so I snagged it up. Once home, I discovered why. Obviously the original front and drawer are gone and replaced with a repurposed one... and ...



cobbed. 



To keep the original table top and frame work, the repair person used plywood screwed from the bottom of the frame. The plywood was covered with cloth. 





The attempts to keep the framework together was done with screws... that was determination! 



The glue and layers of wood was more work than I thought it would be... but I didn't quit. 


The framework needed to be repaired first. 



So I took it all apart. 



Then put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again. With wood filler and glue. 
And clamps. 
Many of them. 



While my strange clamp sculpture was going on, I went back to the table top. 




Scraping, soaking, sanding... so frustrating! The belt sander gave up too... I wondered what I was thinking when I wanted to salvage the original top.  I even thought this table just wasn't worth any more effort. 


Two long days of work and little progress on the top, I replaced the repaired frame piece on the front of the table. 


With glue and clamps in place, I still wanted to keep the original top without modifying the frame in any way. After all, a drum table is meant to be round. 


It is going to painted anyway. So floor leveler will fill the the whole thing. And that's what I did. And sanded some more. 


Then painted primer on the top. 






Then I was off to sand down the globby old varnish runs. 






The drawer, was a repurposed project for this table and I decided to keep that as well... and the handle.  With some sanding and painting on both of them, they will do fine. 







Sanding the entire table: Top,  sides, legs and drawer made it paint ready. 





Then I added a drawer support that was missing. 






Painting began. First the top. 









For the base of the table, I was given the opportunity to try Websters Chalk Paint Powder. 


They provide simple and easy instructions. 


I have a tip, if you don't already do this, use plastic storage containers for your small amounts of paint.  Unused portions can stay in the container for another use with the tight lid. Easy to stir in, dip brushes into and you can mark the lid to label what it is and what you used it for. Store it in your paint area and you're golden! 
For Websters Chalk Powder, all you need is one cup of your latex paint, one tablespoon of water and two tablespoons of the chalk powder.  Drinking a cup of coffee is optional. 




I used flat white paint with a few drops of brown and black paints to tone down the bright white. 



The paint coverage was exceptionally nice. I dry brushed the embossed areas and wet painted the other areas. 


It even covered the drawer very well. 



To line the drawer, I used this velvet fabric. 



Then I went back to the table top with a design in mind to complement the column looking legs.  




Repeating the one design all around the table and allowing the brush strokes to show was the look I was trying to achieve. 





Then I went back to the base to give it an antique look with black paint and an artists' brush. 



Then a little drawer handle detail... 

with silver rub and buffing. 



Finally. My frustration disappeared. 


It was worth the work after all. 










This would make a fine wedding cake table. Or lamp table. 

Whatever suits one's needs. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~









42 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes! You did a fantastic reconstruction job, followed by some beautiful painting. It's just beautiful. I found your link on Life on Lakeshore Drive's Bouquet Talent Party. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ann Marie! I'm so happy to connect with you. I really appreciate your visit! Have an awesome week~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the colors on this transformation, Robin, and you did an awesome job! I really wish we had curbside drop offs around here! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful and all your hard work show just that!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Dee! I'm lucky to find curbsides here. I almost gave up on this one and was going to keep the legs for something else. But glad I stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a frustrating piece due to layers but ended up worth it. Thanks so much, Tammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful as always! I would love to see your house sometime so you can tell the stories on each item!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What a transformation. I would have probably given up on this table, but you did such an amazing job! Thank you for sharing on Show Me Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. You performed a miracles on this table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should do that, M&K! ... but not with my dining room full of tools and bedroom furniture stacked together during renovation ;) When I get the bedroom together, I can start that tour. The kitchen is nearly finished. The bathroom, weeeeell, that is a bit off the calendar for now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came close to giving up! lol A few days of frustration ended when the painting started.
    Thank you so much, Lindsay :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It performed a miracle on me... forcing me to have patience I didn't know I had. :) Thanks so much, Trish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol well as you are ready then lol don't want you scaring me with tools and broken bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can not believe how much work (and determination!!!) you put into this table! But it is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with us on Merry Monday! Sharing! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, Julia! Thank you for hosting and having me. I'm so glad you stopped by with such nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I would have given up long before you did. Well done on saving it and making it beautiful again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing transformation and real labor of love that was so worth it! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marie@The Interior FrugalistaOctober 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM

    Holy Robin, determination with a capital D. Kudos to you for not walking away on the first day. What a stunning makeover! You did good girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was an intense upscale. You did an awesome job. I love this table. I found this post on Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop, Week 96 #linky and I have pinned and tweeted this adorable DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Val @ Love My DIY HomeOctober 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM

    Great job - it is so amazing how an old worn out piece can come alive. It's so fun to take a challenging project like this and make it beautiful. Cuddos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. RONDA CHESSER PORTEROctober 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

    WHAT A FANTASTIC JOB YOU DID! Sharing! Coming to you from Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you. It was a tug of war with this one. I truly had many thoughts on this one. I'm so happy you stopped to see the process and thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A girl after my own heart with understanding. I know you have had a few of these. I'll be brutally honest and tell you, I'm still not happy with it. It needs the original round drawer front. I may do that yet. Luan wets easy... considering it. Thank you, Marie. Stay tuned, there very well may be a part two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank yo so much, Val! I'm elated you stopped in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm ecstatic for the share! Thank you, so very much! :) Love Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's beautiful! Your determination to give new life to the table is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Clearissa! I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I would have never guessed looking at the table in the beginning that it would turn out so beautiful. You are very talented with your art work as well. Great job!!! Thanks for stopping y to share!!
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so happy you stopped to check this out, Karren. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What you do great work. Thanks for linking up at the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can definitely see where you get your great talent from - the parents of course! This piece seemed like it took a lot of work to come together but the end product is amazing! I would have not even brought the table home..lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. I almost gave up and thought about salvaging the legs. LOL
    Thank you so much, Zan :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello cute lady! Your table turned out amazing! Pinned. Cassie chose it as her favorite to feature at our party on Monday! Woo Hoo! Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful table! I looks like it was quite a lot of work, but it looks like it was worth it! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you, Kim!
    I was thrilled and hopped over and linked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations! This post has been featured on Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party. Check it out here- http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-i-prayed-for-this-diwali-wuw.html

    Cheers,

    Tanya

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. I featured your table, thanks for linking up! http://www.dagmarbleasdale.com/2014/11/vintage-finds-link-party-44/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so very much, Dagmar! I'm so excited over the feature!

    ReplyDelete