Lazy Susan Redo for TCW: 1 Stencil 4 Ways Series | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Lazy Susan Redo for TCW: 1 Stencil 4 Ways Series

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Lazy Susan Redo for TCW: 1 Stencil 4 Ways Series



www.thecraftersworkshop.com    #TCWstencillove 


As guest designer for The Crafter's Workshop, I've been assigned stencil set number 383 designed by Ronda Palazzari. The purpose of the One Stencil Four Ways series is to demonstrate the endless possibilities of a stencil based on numerous creators.  





My first project is a lazy susan redo. 



Having this plain Jane Lazy Susan... I really wanted to do something with it and this stencil set gave me the opportunity to change it out.  (Insert smirk here... With a couple of lady names in one sentence; maybe I'll name this handy kitchen helper "Susan Jane".) 





To start, I needed to sand off the original finish of the wood to stain it the base color I desired. 





The stain color I like and used for this is "gunstock" having red tones. Just a tad of flashy. 






Then I brushed on a water based paint in onyx color around the edges and wiped off leaving the paint residue in the crevices. This technique allowed me to achieve an aged wood look. 




Where some of the paint was too much, I lightly sanded it off by hand. 

Hmm, not as dark as what I had in mind. Let's do this again, shall we? 








The second coat of paint and stain is much better. Then a little wiping and sanding made Suzan Jane a bit older. Maturity is stately, I always say. 




Then the exciting part...decorating with this stencil!  After measuring the lazy susan and the stencils, I made light pencil marks for placement. 




Then taped down the stencil and painted with a sponge "spouncer". 




I allowed the paint to dry thoroughly before sanding lightly. 





Using fine grit sandpaper I sanded lightly over the entire surface concentrating on the stenciled parts for more distressing. 









Using coconut oil and a rag, I conditioned the wood to bring out the rich tones by rubbing it in. 













































44 comments:

  1. I love how you name your creations, but really, they all so beautiful that they deserve a name! Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this is lovely! I also have a plain Lazy Susan at home, I should try something similar perhaps :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally cool! Love the plain jane redo into WOW! :) Appreciate the step by step to on how to stencil, this technique should work on anything wood I would think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! There are so many ways to decorate these. Stains, paints, decoupage, image transfers and more. I hope you share what you do. Thank you Sarka! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, anything! Tables, cabinets, wall hangings, dressers, etc.
    And, the stencils can be used on any surface. I used this set on a lampshade, a fabric collage and a rug so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny I come up with names. I think I develop relationships with my subjects when I work on them. LOL!
    Thank you so much, Dee! You are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the visit and the pin, Taralyn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin...your "Susan Jane" is not only handy...but she's beautiful...with a bit of whimsy, too! I always love "&" signs and you came up with a fun way of using them. Thanks too for your tutorial and tips!
    I'm so glad you came by and shared your Great Ideas with us at Project Inspire{d}! Hope you'll be back next week!
    [pinning!!]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so thrilled you stopped to check out the post, Diane. Thank you for the invite and for the pinning too! I promise to come back; I've been very busy with so much to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your project!!! THis is the kind of stuff I do in my craft store American Clutter LLC!
    I am hosting my first ever Tuesday Link Up Party. I hope you can come over and link up with me!! I love meeting new ladies and getting to see all the amazing content everyone has to offer! http://liverandomlysimple.com/totally-terrific-tuesday-linkup-party-1/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robin All Things Heart and HomSeptember 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM

    Absolutely fantastic!!! I love a good lazy susan...and yours is GREAT! ox Thanks for sharing at Twirl and Take a Bow! ox

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this look. It's beautiful. What brand of water base paint did you use? I haven't heard this before. Thanks again and I am popping by from the 365 days craft link party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I am amazed how you come up with those re-dos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! It adds so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board- great transformation as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That turned out so good! I need to learn how to do projects like this for my next house. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw,thanks so much, Robin! :D
    I'm so glad you stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's Minwax. This one is Express Color in Onyx. (My favorite. I use it on so many projects and it cleans up with water.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Zan. It thrills me that you visit! It makes me smile :)
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, it has an aged appearance. Thank you so much, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the pin! I'm so glad to see you here, Amber! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really easy to do and I bet you can master it without trying, Jenna! I hope you try it and have tons of fun!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brandy @ BD Design BlogOctober 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM

    Thanks for pinning this to the Outside The Box party! What a transformation! I'm pinning it now on our group Pinterest board! Hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for the pin! :)
    I'll be back~ Have a great weekend, Brandy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out great! Thank you for sharing with us at the Merry Monday link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love this! Looks so cool. Pinned. It is so fun to party with you. Thank you. I hope to see you at our party on Monday at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/

    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Kim! I'll certainly be back :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cute project and so customizable! Thank you so much for sharing on Meandering Mondays! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Robin,
    This looks amazing. I love it. Thanks so much for sharing this at The Southern Special.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so cool! i love how it turned out! Thanks for linking up to DIY Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are welcome! Thank YOU, for having me :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad you like it and stopped in! Thank you, Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so pretty! I love how you stained the wood, and especially the stenciling!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it! You did a great job. Thanks for linking up to Show Me Saturday! I hope to see you there this week.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You'll be featured tonight at HandmadeintheHeartland.com! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for the visit and the kind comment, Amy! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you, Ginger! I appreciate the invite :)
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome! So excited and looking forward to the next link up! Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for the visit and the invite! I look forward to stopping by. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete